Pearce Park is named for Major General L. A. Pearce.
Maj Gen Pearce served in WW2 and Malaya and retired from the army as Chief of General staff in 1973.
In 1960 he was Commander of the Army Schools in Waiouru.
During this time he was instrumental in development of this golf course.
Born in Herne bay 1918. Educated at Taihape District High School and Seddon Memorial Tech, he enlisted into the regular force in 1938. He was the first NZ soldier to progress from Private to Major General.
Service Career included operations in Greece, the Western Desert and Italy during WW2 eventually commanding 26 Bn.
Maj Gen Pearce received the MBE in 1956 after employment in various instructor/training roles in Waiouru and Wellington.
He commanded 1 NZ Regt during the Malaya Emergency 1961 – 63 for which he received the OBE. On his return to NZ he held positions of Deputy Quartermaster General and Director Staff Duties Army Headquarters.
After Imperial Staff College in 1967 he was appointed Quartermaster General and then Project Officer for the 1969 Defense reorganization.
He became Deputy Chief of Staff in 1970 and then Chief of Staff in 1971.
Maj Gen Pearce was awarded the CBE in 1972 and CB in 1973, the year he retired.
Maj Gen Pearce was a keen sportsman representing Auckland and the Army in Rugby as well as managing the Combined Services tour of Australia in 1952.
He retired to Auckland is a patron of both Auckland and North Harbour RFUs.